Since the advent of COVID-19, we have needed to adapt how we live and work not only in our everyday lives but in our work environment as well. At Scrivas, we recognize the importance of these changes to protect not just the patients we serve but the healthcare teams that we work with as well as their families. As such, we have developed a COVID-19 workflow response.
As nonclinical healthcare team members, we feel we serve an essential purpose at the sides of the physicians we work with. As the number of positive cases increase, there will be increased pressure on healthcare teams to see more patients per hour — both with potential COVID-19 patients and higher acuity patients who have waited for evaluation out of fear of potential exposure. Scribes:
- Continue to provide valuable documentation services, allowing physicians to focus on their patients.
- Continue to be educated on all COVID-19 workflow documentation requirements.
- Help physicians reduce their interaction with computers and other electronic devices, limiting exposure and potentially saving on turnover of personal protective equipment and cleaning supplies, which can save both time and resources.
- Adapt to the changing needs of sites we serve.
Our team continues to look for safe ways to add efficiencies and vital assistance during these times ahead of us.
Our COVID-19 Workflow Responses
Here are a few workflows that help our scribes continue to provide services in a safe, effective manner.
Centralized Workstation Services
Our scribes can:
- Be stationed at a centralized location onsite where they can provide full documentation services.
- Prepare charts based on reports from triage and any pre-interview discussion
- Update and complete documents post interview, when the physician can report important findings
We recommend this method as it keeps our scribes safe from exposure to sick patients and allows for the most normal continuation of scribe services for the healthcare teams that they serve.
Local Remote Services
Our scribes can:
- Be stationed at an appointed area with Baptist computer access and a phone line.
- Maintain contact with the physician through their ASCOM
- Provide live documentation services through an open line during the interview
- Receive any direct reports post interview.
In Tandem Telehealth Services
As several of our sites switch to alternate means of providing healthcare services, our scribes can adapt. They can assist physicians with telehealth workflow and documentation to ensure that physicians moving to this model have the support they need to help their patients at a distance.
As providers of essential documentation services to our healthcare teams, we at Scrivas believe in keeping our scribe teams safe, especially during times of heightened risk like COVID-19, so that they can continue to provide the services needed by the physicians they serve. Our scribes are:
- Instructed on hand washing, workspace hygiene, and personal hygiene to minimize or prevent potential contamination.
- Instructed to use their provided masks efficiently to prevent waste while keeping themselves safe.
- Updated and reminded regularly on any changing safety recommendations by their site supervisors and team managers.
- Maintaining direct access to up-to-date information through our 24/7 on-call number to address any concerns or questions regarding their COVID-19 workflow and safety.
We understand the importance of providing the best healthcare services possible regardless of the current situation. Our teams stand ready to work with the physicians and their healthcare team members to ensure they can focus on their safety and the health of their patients while we handle the burden of providing documentation of their vital services.
We look forward to speaking with you regarding your scribe service. Learn more about how scribes can help with clinician stress during COVID-19.